Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wine Fest 2008

In honor of Michelle Wine-O-Wednesdays I thought I would post about my weekend at the Red, White, and Blues Wine Festival in Santa Barbara, CA. It was a huge festival with over 400 California wineries. Needless to say, I wasn't able to taste from every winery, but I tried my best! I tried to only taste the wines that were the specialities of that paticular winery. I also tried to stay away from wines that are from the nearby Santa Ynez valley. I was a little disappointed with some of the vendors when I asked them "what is your speciality?" and their reply was "wine." I was hoping for a little more insight than that.


Of all the wines I tasted, I do have a favorite from the afternoon. A 2006 Pinot Noir from Peter's Vineyard on the Sonoma Coast crafted Kokomo Wines. I am not a huge Pinor Noir fan but this wine was fantastic! The wine gives a bold flavor of ripe strawberries and spices. It also has a wonderful smoky vanilla aroma. It is way more than I would regularly spend on a bottle, but it would be great for a special occasion.


I may try to follow Michelle's lead, but with a teeny, tiny twist. I may try "Vino Venerdi." Vino Venerdi will be dedicated to trying new wine and preparing new dinner dishes to pair with the wine. Thanks for the great idea Michelle!

2 comments:

Michelle Leigh said...

So you weren't satisfied that a winery specialized in wine? Go figure! Glad you are taking my lead. I feel the need to have others indulge as much as I do! You have fun pairing your wine with food. Me, I like to drink on an empty stomach, it hits the head faster :)! I wish I were there to sample with you. How fun would that have been?

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

Hi I'm a blogfriend of Michelle's. I'll be following your vino days too! I'm just getting started into wines and would love to hear the insight from others!!